Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So it's been a while, and I have been a lot of places. There is an amazing amount of clarity after things are accomplished. It's weird that way; sometimes I wish I could just figure things out in my own head, but I seem to need to do things first. The national parks were great. I do wish there was less snow. Later I'll write about what I remember about each one. The last stop before I arrived in Durham, NC, where I am now, was at Moundville, AL. There I went to a mound archeological park. It was really nice how they had it set up. I went for a bike ride around and it was a nice day. They had stations where you could call a number on your cell and hear a narrative of what you were looking at. It was here that I realized I am done with anthropology as a career option. I will always be into anthro, but I can't see myself being in it as a job. And it seems weird to say, but the reason is that I think I would be bored. I like museums, but I think it would be a waste to go back to school to get a master's, and maybe not even find a job, and if I do, who is to say it will be something interesting. I mean, I liked seeing the mounds, but I'd be so bored working with them all day every day. I just don't know how academic of a person I am when it comes to a career. And when I say academic, I mean careers where people have their Phd and do research and stuff. ZZZZZzzz.

As far as being a park ranger, I could see myself doing that. I had some really awesome interactions with some rangers in the parks I went to. I just don't know if being in that job and the lifestyle is for me just yet. Basically, you have a roommate and move every six months... that's fine, but I have this dog....

I have decided that I need to find a place to live next. No snow... I really hate the cold. And I feel lethargic and want to sleep when it is cold. I am really thinking about trying again for nursing school. Before, I didn't give it much effort, and I was so unmotivated and didn't have much confidence. But this time, I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. The reasons for nursing is that I like science, the weird schedules keep me from getting bored, there are jobs EVERYWHERE so I won't be wasting my time in school, while people are annoying, I didn't mind taking care of them when I was a flight attendant, and I am a total people watcher--I like to meet new people and hear their stories. So it's good to have goals; they keep me motivated. I already have a BA so I can get it all done in about two years once I start. I didn't work hard for my BA and make the best of it, so it will be nice to go back to school and do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment